Maison Alphonse Giroux was established in 1799 by Francois-Simon-Alphonse Giroux, an art restorer, cabinet maker and one of the official restorers for the Notre Dame Cathedral. Based at 7, Rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré in Paris, the business initially started selling artist’s supplies, as well the products of his cabinetmaking work. The nature of the business soon expanded into the manufacturing and retailing of luxury goods and artwork, attracting the keen attention of french kings and members of the royal families.
His sons, André and Alphonse-Gustave joined the business in 1834. Upon the retirement of Francois-Simon-Alphonse Giroux in 1838, his eldest son, Alphonse-Gustave Giroux, took over the business as named ‘Alphonse Giroux et Cie’. Under his control, the business gained further acclaim for the quality of their work and merchandise, winning a silver medal at the 1839 Exposition des Produits de L’industrie Française.
In 1839, Louis-Jacques-Mande Daguerre, inventor of the Daguerrotype photographic process and its associated camera, signed one of two exclusive contracts with Alphonse-Gustave Giroux (his brother-in-law), to manufacture and retail the camera through his business.
In 1857, the business moved to 43 Boulevard des Capucines in Paris, their exclusive dual aspect department store, extending to the adjacent Rue Neuve des Capucines 24.
The business was taken over by Duvinage and Harinckouk in 1867.