Having been a partner in the company of Hunt & Roskell, Charles Frederick Hancock established his own business in 1849, based at 39 Bruton Street, London. By 1862 he had expanded to 38 Bruton Street and 152 New Bond Street, London. In 1866, with the partial retirement of Charles and the introduction of Charles’ son, Mortimer, along with partners, Horatio Stewart and Henry John Dore, the business became known as Hancock, Son & Co. When Charles fully retired in 1869, his other son, Charles Frederick Hancock Jr became a partner, and the business was renamed as Hancocks & Co.
Recognised primarily as a jeweller and silversmith, they were also known to undertake commissions for particularly fine boxes. Hancocks & Co still remain in business to this day.