Toulmin & Gale
The Toulmin & Gale company were originally established in 1735. By 1845, Joseph Toulmin and John Gale were in control of the company, based at 85-86 Cheapside, London.
They were awarded a prize medal for ‘excellence of material and workmanship’ for their dressing cases at the International Exhibition of 1862. A year later, the company had expanded and opened up a new manufactory at 18 Sise Lane, London and a further shop at 7 New Bond Street, London. They were finally declared bankrupt in 1876.
Interestingly, George William Betjemann was one of the trustees under their liquidation and this business continued as Betjemann & Gale Ltd.